Check out these easy ways to start the school year off right:
- Keep in touch with your child’s teachers. Make sure that you have shared your most up-to-date contact information, and if it changes, share it with the school.
- Help your children whenever you can with their homework. If they or you are having difficulty with it, get in touch with your child’s teacher and ask for help.
- Your child should be in school as often as possible. If a student has a fever or a contagious illness, keep them home and send along a doctor’s note when they return to school.
- Make sure your child reads every single night. For kindergarten through first grade, read to them while tracing your finger under each word and encourage them to do the same. For second through fourth grade, they should be reading independently for at least twenty minutes. For fifth through eighth grade, they should read independently for at least forty minutes. High school students should read for at least an hour. It’s also a good idea to have your child tell you about what they read.
- Make sure your child gets plenty of rest on school nights. Limit their amount of screen time before going to bed.